Saturday, April 17, 2010

Happy birthday, Audrey!



Life is an adventure........on some days more than others.
We were invited to celebrate Porter's friend from daycare Audrey's birthday with an afternoon in the park. They live in St. Paul & there is this great park close to their house. There were three different play areas, a huge field where the boys could play football, plenty of picnic tables...it was perfect! The kids had a blast & it was a beautiful spring afternoon, perfect for running off some energy.

Amy made the CUTEST cupcakes, ala Martha Stewart!


The boys...


Porter & William found something hysterical!


Lilah "escaped" the party for a while to pick flowers...


These glasses were the BEST giveaway ever!



Now remember when I said this was the perfect park? Well, is with the exception of one thing....one GIANT thing, turns out. THERE WAS NO BATHROOM IN SIGHT. Now with a four year old boy, not the worst thing in the world. The first time Porter had to go, we simply found a hidden tree area where he did his business. No big thing. Fast forward an hour later when he frantically says to me, "Mama I have to poop!" and starts heading towards the same tree. "No! No! You can't do THAT there!!" I yelp! I didn't know what to do. I said we could leave & go find a nearby gas station, take care of business & then head back. He had no interest in that. I think he thought once we left, we'd never come back. He's was having far too much fun to take that risk, so he said "Oh, just forget it Mama" & headed back to the playground. That lasted about 20.5 seconds, when he came back, BARELY ABLE TO WALK, saying he had to go NOW. We started walking towards our car, not entirely sure what I was going to do...until I remembered that my grandma -- my sweet 91-year old Grandma back in Wisconsin -- had given me a Folgers coffee can the last time we were there at Christmas time that she had actually written "PEEE CAN" on & told me to keep it in my car & that if we were ever on our way back to Wisconsin & Porter had to go & there was no where to stop...VOILA! Well, if Grandma only knew then what was about the unfold with said Folgers can. So there we are, sitting in the HOT car, me holding the can & Porter doing his thing. THANK GOODNESS for that Folgers can is all I can say. At one point, I remember thinking to myself, "How in the world did I get here???????"

Life is an adventure.......Indeed.

No comments: